Thread: Black Bears
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Black Bears

Howdy Trappers!

I'm hoping to join your ranks soon, I'm patiently awaiting the next round of Trapper Education courses and I plan to trap on some family owned land near Grassland targeting Coyotes.

Last year, we had a number of visits by bears intent on destruction. They destroyed a bunch of camping gear and managed to drag out and chew through 20+ sheets of styrofoam. (that wasn't a fun clean-up...) I'd like to remove those bears from the property, but I'm confused.

Reading the wildlife regulation, it says (in many more words):
  • Wolf, Black Bear, and Coyote can be hunted without a license, but not trapped, on private property. (Section 7)
  • a resident fur management license authorizes its holder to hunt fur-bearing animals, except otter and wolverine, on private property. (Section 36)
  • You can only use a snare on coyotes, wolves, fox, bobcat, squirrel, weasel, and beaver under a resident fur management license. (Section 36)
  • All traps have to comply with the AIHTS (black bears aren't a species listed on AIHTS)
  • The definition of "Hunt" also includes 'to trap', unless it is specifically mentioned within the section it is used (ie: 'can be hunted, but not trapped')

Putting all that together, I think it means that as a land owner, with a resident fur management license, I can hunt and trap black bear without the use of a snare. I was hoping it would be clearer in the regulation for resident trappers like it is for registered trappers (ie: 6 black bears, hunted, but not trapped).

Can anyone set me on the right path if I'm way off? I don't want to get in any trouble with the fish cops, but I'd like to effectively get these bears removed.

Thanks!