View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Default selection

Always been a fan of the " odd and unusual". When my buddies were packing a .270 or '06, I was using a .54 BP.
I am a sucker for the big boomers, mostly because I get to see first-hand all the damage some of the supersonic ultra-lite bullets do on the carcass!
Most of my gun safe is full of guns in the 30-06 to 375 range, with the 358 norma being one of my all-time favorites. I use heavy for caliber bullets, and can usually "eat right to the whole".
The last few years I have been using vintage double rifles with hammers. This offers a distinct challenge to the hunt, requiring close distance shooting, and tonnes of prep work to cast the proper bullets, and come up with the best load that regulates between the two barrels. All of these older doubles were regulated (shoot both barrels to the same POI) to fifty yards, which is just about right, considering they were never equipped to have scopes mounted on them. I have shot to the two hundred yard gong at our local range, and feel comfortable with that on game, but the grouping with my old bi-focal eyes aint pretty!