View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Sorry if I gave your secret spot away. Your negative response tells me you don’t want any friendly competition. I doubt the mountain will be busy this year due to ATV restrictions. Only a few guys like you and me will actually take on sugarloaf on foot. There are elk up there and you know it. Trying to scare other people away with threats of grizz is ridiculous. I’ve packed out over a dozen bulls from 402 and never had an encounter with a grizz while dealing with the meat. I have left six bulls dead on the ground over nite out there and never had a bear touch them. Sugarloaf is a good place to start out for a newbie to the area. Lots of land can be scouted just by glassing from up there.
That sure isn’t a secret spot. It’s had locals in and around it since the 1950’s.

My response is indicative of the following attitude.

Haunting is about getting out and learning an area, learning the quarry, learning their habits....... my impression of internet elk hunters tends to be that they are more about the result than the process.

If a guy hunts elk lots and is fit. One day of scouting will give him a good idea bout where to go.

Sorry..... you earn your elk and that’s unfortunately how I feel.

The process is possibly more valuable than the end result.

..... having said that..... I’m cooking elk steaks tonight and they’s Dang yummy!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."