View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Everyone and their dog hunts Sugarloaf. Have fun with that.. Dutch creek is a quadders paradise... so that shoves the elk into the thick stuff and makes them real quiet. If your gonna hint that spot, put the bugle away and just use the cow reed.

I hope you like grizz.... cause he’ll like you. Lots o them around.
If you do bugle, be prepared to attract other hunters... 4 legged and two legged.

During rifle season, I unfortunately bugle more hunters in than anything else if it’s a thurs to Sunday ...

Having said that..... bugling in an elk can be done in 400 and 402.

Frenchman’s creek is pretty good.

Those two zones are stupid busy. Everyone wants the romanticized ‘mountain elk’ encounter.

Edson area is waayyyyyy easier to poke a bull.... but I live too far away.
Sorry if I gave your secret spot away. Your negative response tells me you don’t want any friendly competition. I doubt the mountain will be busy this year due to ATV restrictions. Only a few guys like you and me will actually take on sugarloaf on foot. There are elk up there and you know it. Trying to scare other people away with threats of grizz is ridiculous. I’ve packed out over a dozen bulls from 402 and never had an encounter with a grizz while dealing with the meat. I have left six bulls dead on the ground over nite out there and never had a bear touch them. Sugarloaf is a good place to start out for a newbie to the area. Lots of land can be scouted just by glassing from up there.