View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I guess one thing that bears discussing here is the distance being shot. I became a huge fan of the high shoulder shot after I started extending the ranges I shoot. The first advantage is that it allows for a fairly wide margain of error. In fact, it's a hard shot to screw up, other than completely missing which is much preferable to a non fatal hit. Second, the results are typically a drop on the spot response. This is important when shooting long ranges as it can take a fair amount of time to get to the scene of a hit when you have to walk a 1/2 kilometer or more. Even finding exactly where the animal was standing can be a challenge if there is no snow so walking to an animal that dropped on the spot is preferable. Anyhow, that's why I'm a fan of the high shoulder.

I couldn't agree more, high shoulder with a magnum powered rifle and thier head has to catch up with thier ars most of the time they drop that fast in thier tracks.I think the hydrostatic shock on the spinal cord system just shuts everything down like a light switch. At least that what happens when I hit them high with my STW. And no I'm not talking spine shot, just under it or where the spine meets the neck is good also. I get a kick out of the guys shooting those little southern deer and they run off almost every time.