View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Braun,

Why do you support all the trout lakes and ponds that have fished stocked every year that don't survive or spawn either? Like I said before it would be the same thing as the trout ponds and would need to be stocked the same way. It would be no different and would have to be treated the same way. I am not saying I am for or against it I am just trying to have an open mind about it. If there were bass around here I would fish for them and if there isn't I will drag my boat to BC to learn how to fish them.
good question. there are a couple reasons but before i get to them, you know that i would fish them if they were here as well. we had plans to goto BC this year. Id be a Hippocrate if i said i wouldnt fish for them.

here are my reasons and all start with the lame one first.
as chubb said, you cant just turn a trout hatchery and say, now we will spawn bass.... startup costs on a project like this are huge.

here is the real reason why:

it is very different when we talk about bass and trout and i understand why you question my argument because of the way I had worded it. I made it seem like the only breeding I support is ones that have potential to spawn.... trout is different because the main "naturally spawning" fisheries we have here are trout. In order to keep fisheries like the bow top notch is to have strict restrictions on them; take away the ability for people to catch and keep them. however, it is only fair that if that ability is taken away, that there is a venue where people can go to catch and keep their trout. the current put and take fisheries that we have are a big part of the protection of our "natural" fisheries where trout spawn. they relieve the pressure on the natural water ways and without put and take people would be harvesting more from the bow, sheep, elbow, glenmore and any other trout fishery.

spending money on spawning bass is only creating a new market for catching and keeping bass. It will not relieve any pressure on the natural trout fisheries. If SRD had money out the arse, i wouldnt care. but with limited resources and already mass debate regarding trout fisheries, i just cannot support creating a market for bass.

I know it is debatable that a bass fishery would reduce pressure on trout because people would fish bass instead of trout. In my opinion, that is a weak argument. people will still fish for trout just as much, and it is a bonus that they can get bass.