View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There are still plenty of porkies around here, just ask any farmer that has to deal with removing quills from their dogs.....lol. Where I'm snaring coyotes I've never seen any sign of marten or fisher but the smaller pockets of bush aren't exactly the best habit for them. I wouldn't have to travel too far north to regularly find both marten and fisher, maybe 50 to 100 kms. Unfortunately, the zones there don't allow for Resident Trappers to trap marten and the season is closed to us. Plenty of wolves up that way and one year I may target them on a Rancher's land who would like to see them thinned out.
Targeting wolves is fun Dave.
If you are trapping 508 you can put out marten sets on a Resident trappers licence. Not saying you will get any but you can set them out. We have one spot on the line that is not great marten habitat and surrounded by farm land. Never seen a track there just the spot where a live spruce blew down on a 45 degree angle. Yet every couple of years we get one or two young ones and it seems that if you get one another one will be there within 2 weeks.
They must follow each other.

Good luck on the wolves

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.