View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM

As hard as it is to choke it down, it is going to cost you a bagful of $$$ every year until you're 25 WITHOUT anything on your lic. or record...add a $6000 accident and you are pricing yourself right out of a new vehicle until you're 25.

Insurance companies live and die by actuarial tables, and the tables say that you are at the bleeding tip of the group of people most likely to cost them money due to accidents. You don't have to like it, and they don't care one way or another. If you want a new truck, that's what it's going to cost you...trying to short-cut that will not work, and will bite you in the A**.

I'll tell you the same thing I told my son at the same age; buy a 10 year old vehicle in perfect mechanical condition, insure it, and put the difference between that cost, and the price of the new truck plus insurance in a separate account. You will be AMAZED at how fast you bank the total purchase price of the truck. When you can pay cash, buy it then. It will save you thousands of dollars per year on insurance, you won't have a truck payment for the next 8 years, and you will be MUCH happier.

Thankfully, he took my advice and bought an old vehicle at 18. By 22 he had the full price of a nicer truck than the first, he was 22 and not 18, his record was clean, and his insurance was 40% what it would have been at 18. Be honest with yourself; at your age you don't NEED a brand new truck...you WANT a brand new truck. You'll still WANT a new truck in a few years, but by then you will be able to AFFORD a new truck. Buying what you want now is setting yourself up for a lifetime of being behind the 8-ball your whole life