View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Default Lower your sights

That is life for people your age, especially when you have had one accident. The simple truth is that unless you are willing to pay that kind of money for insurance (if you shop around you might get it down a grand or two, but that is it), you cannot have a new or late model vehicle that is financed. If a vehicle is financed you must have collision insurance and comprehensive insurance (to protect the lender) and collision is likely the single biggest component of the cost. You need to do what most 18 year olds have to do (my 2 sons have both done this, since they were 16). Get a good older vehicle (something under $5,000 value) and pay cash for it - in our case it was Dad's cash, but the vehicles were registered to them. Then it is not worth the cost of collision insurance and you aren't required to get it. Also the comprehensive (if you choose to get it) will be somewhat less, because the value insured is small. Get a few years of claim free driving in, and then the cost of insurance for something "newish" will go way down.
My 23 year old son, with one accident claim from 4 years ago, is only paying about $1,350 per year for full coverage ($500 deductibles) on a vehicle worth about $7,500.
Instead of succumbing to "look at me, shiny, shiny" disease, be practical. It will also save you the finance and depreciation costs of the newer vehicle, which will inevitably far exceed maintenance and repair costs on a good older one. Make a distinction between what one "wants" and what one "needs" (?).