View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGiesbrecht View Post
i have the absolute HARDEST time fishing whites, i go to sylvan often but no luck. fishing for walleye and pike is not an issue. wanting to get better at fishing for whitefish. i have small hooks (wireworms and forage minnow) but just cant seem to do it... HELLLLP lol
Try, the smallest size of Wetaskiwin special you can buy in copper/brass pattern. I get mine from the fishing hole online. You can tip one of top hooks with a maggot or maggot imitation. I like to really tighten my knot on it and direct tie it on, so I can get it horizontal. This way, it will give a nice darting action that drives the Sylvan whitefish crazy some days. Twitch the Wetaskiwin like a backswimmer constantly too, even when you see the fish come in.
I will also tie a wireworm 10" above the wetaskewin. Got that trick from Zip n Z. Late in the season I catch half my fish on the wire worm tied above. Another thing that has worked for me is to not use a camera but sight fish or use a flasher instead. Some cameras seem to spook them.

I fish in less than 12ft too until about late morning, then will move out to 15+fow. When the burnout spawn is on, I will often find them in 20+ fow after late morning.

For wire worm patterns, there is a great thread dedicated to it. I think it's called wire worms for whitefish. You can also look at last season's and this season's Sylvan Lake reports thread for more tips. Hope this helps.