View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
my username is borrowed from my grandparents' cat. they have long since passed away, but my grandfather recalled stories to a very young child(me) from the old country. they saw the future of their country even as it made the transition from imperialism to the long slide into a totalitarian dictatorship. they saw the people who were positioning themselves to assume power, and they knew instinctively it was time to leave.
most of the lamentations of the populace after the deaths of dictators aren't genuine, these emotional displays are for the eyes of the secret police. if you don't cry long enough or hard enough, you will be investigated, or lose privileges. I have no doubt that a lot of them actually wish for an invasion or some kind of political upheaval so they can actually look toward a new day with optimism, and not hopeless resignation. certainly not all of them, some make the best of their lot in life, and others don't know any different. I think that they have hopes and aspirations like any one else.
I often think how the Korean people would change their own views if they could experience both political systems in rapid succession, like one day to the next.
I think views can be changed, but how can anyone arrange for even a small portion of a captive population to experience another political system?

Now suppose you could remove their oppressive leaders? Then what? Pronounce their freedom of choice and leave? You just know they will make another choice and probably something just as bad or worse will take over.

There is a way that will work but it would take a long long time and even more patience and will be filled with stumbling blocks along the way.

It is the opposite of depriving them and starving them with sanctions and then saying "Behave or we will .........make you!"