View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Maybe rather than posting hypothetical information and ideas you should spend some time reading. For dangerous game a .375 caliber is the minimum prescribed by law in most African countries. Also many countries have a minimum energy amount such as Zimbabwe with 5300J for dangerous game.
As I stated before. Also read about why FMJ bullets were required for war yet you cannot use them for hunting. I would bet they will penetrate much further than any hunting round you can find but I can also guarantee that you will see that they don't do much damage and are intended to wound the target rather than kill.
It's a bit more detailed than that as to why FMJ bullets are used and how, in Africa.
However, in a nutshell, FMJ's are more often than not used for dangerous game to break shoulders and other heavy bone and to penetrate skulls and horn bosses which are several inches thick as on the cape buffalo and hippo for example.
However on thin skinned game there is a difference, yes, but we should not be comparing and including African game in with North American game cartridges for several reasons, the main one being that we in Alberta especially for big game need to use expanding bullets.
Cat