Thread: .243 Pet Load
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Loading for the 243 is the same as other rifles as you start off at minimum and work your way up.

Lyman reload had good starting points way back when.

Take into account barrel twist and length as it changes things between rifles,,, no 2 of them are the same.

Faster burn powders in short barrels, slower in long.

I'd load 9 rounds for 3 vollys of 3 in 0.5 grain differences from minimum too max watching primer too view how flat it become on the higher up max loads.

The best group of 3 with 3 shoots would be my middle ground to start.

I'd pick lower middle ground since it allows for elivaton changes, temp, and dirty barrel over the coyote season.

Fall too spring with no cleanings over the 200 too 400 shots.

Pal Don, this works for me, so why change what works
PS: I forgot too add that these groups of 3 shot vollys are carried out a few times in hopes that I find the magic rounds. "In all instances I would", un-less the rifle had issues, Ha.

Had 1 M-1 Grande worn out in every category that it was ready to become the boat anchor I always wanted.

Any-who, I had lots of fire-arms always dialed in, that ment I could take weeks and months too shot vollys of 0.5 G spend to view group becoming tighter. Then move to 0.2G,,, 0.1G in the last week's to get group tight as possible.

Even if it started to spread before getting close to max load I keep increasing powder charge watching "primer flattening" to prevent from over doing it.

Many of my fire arms shot smoother, flatter, more consistent in the max load range.

Too help keep things the same for reloading I'd buy bulk powder, primers, cases once shot inspected, and bullets trying to keep bunch or case lot numbers the same.

Been lucky over the years to practic much of this stuff with long time target shooter C Ganter that performed in shoots all around the world.

Open to ideas gets those bullets down range in nice size groups if we choose to do this for us he'd say.

Putting in the time and effort is worth it knowing that our fire arm is working too it's entened capabilities so long as it does not have an issue.

Pal Don at helpfull ideas when I can share what works for pals and I.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 08-05-2016 at 06:46 AM.