View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
What else do you look for at 25-30 ft? structure? rock bottom? sand bottom? drop off? weed line?

The ice fishing rod is a great idea...thanks for that!
The ice rod works well at deeper spots with a spinning reel so you can get them up quick. Im honestly no pro in finding them but i would start very similarly to walleye - so off of points, stay away from bays, look for shallow water near by with an incline and fish the deeper side. Dont even think about fishing unless youre seeing a lot on your finder, thats a hard one to get by... seeing one, maybe 2 and stopping and wasting time. Hopefully you have a decent finder that they ll show up on, and not hugging the bottom too tight. I keep moving and dont stop until i hit them.

Only reason i say dont fish pike/perch same time is because you may bring pike into the area youre perch fishing, but more so because i find its better to commit to getting some perch instead of fishing a pike spot and at the same time attempt to get some - just gets a little discouraging because youre not likely to do too well.

But i hope you get into them - i love them. Been a couple years until ive had a chance to go for perch for whatever reason.

Good luck!