View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
There is a lot of skill involved in being a field hunter. None of it, however, is related to shooting ability. Shooting decoying birds in the field is somewhat equivalent to shooting a slowly accelerating Mack truck. The skill involved is in regards to site selection the decoy spread the camouflage of the blinds and calling the shot.

Grouse in the timber. Dove hunt's. Pass shooting. Big water diver hunting. Snipe hunting. Driven shoots. Jump shooting. Open prairie sharp tail and partridge shooting. Even hunting waterfowl over water. All these are measures of ability more challenging than field shooting or shooting flushed pheasants. 50/50 on pointed birds -- big whoop. 8/10 on decoying mallards -- yawn. 8/16 on flushed snipe -- now you know something.
I would like to see you go 50/50 on pointed birds, when half of them are in the timber. And that is where you will find many of the released pheasants a day or two after they are released. and they have been pushed out of the open fields. I have been in brush so thick that I couldn't swing a gun getting to my dog on point, when a bird flushed. Sharptailed grouse and Hungarian partridge on open fields often provide easier shots. Then again, the people that chase the release truck and shoot most of their birds on the ground, or sitting in trees should easily go 50/50. yet they don't for some reason.