View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Well said. Well said.
And from my way of thinking, again only mine, and Smoky Bucks I guess.
Love my 30-30. Watched my dad take his bighorn with iron sights in the same.
I have 4 big game rifles, or select tools as I call them.
.06, 30-30, .270 short mag, and .308

All I have or ever owned.
Can be confident daily shooters, all week long.
Can't go wrong with your choices, for moose and bear at least the odd six
Good luck
I agree with Smokey buck, and most of this, but having shot a pile of moose and deer with the .270 win and the 30-06 I have never seen the 06 knock anything down any faster than the .270. Infact, if you really put me to it I would say that I've seen more dramatic kills from the .270, even on moose. Yes I realise there are other factors at play, but the fact remains that those factors make way more difference than the ballistic difference between most of the popular "all around" cartridges. And even with all things equal, you can go shoot 10 animals with each and still end up doing less tracking with the slightly less powerful cartridge, its just that close. Those numbers might look significant on ballistics charts, but in the real world it takes a very large boost in killing power to actually make any noticeable difference. Just my observations.

That said, if I owned only one rifle in either of those calibers and a 12 gauge shotgun I would be confident hunting pretty much any game animal or bird in the province. Keep the 30-30 as a bush gun/ spare and you are well set up.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.