View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
A few points about comparing Lowrance and Humminbird. It's pretty important to compare apples to apples when comparing prices.

The closest competitor to the Helix units from Lowrance isn't really the HDS Carbon or even the Gen3, they're a step above, the direct comparison is the Elite Ti units.
Depends how you compare them. Capability wise or functionally. The Helix's easily compete with the HDS's capability wise and they have features such as mega imaging that the Elite Ti's do not compete with.

Functionally the Helix doesn't hold a candle to the HDS but that is where the decision has to be made. Do you want a lexus or a toyota, they are both going to do the same thing ones just going to be nicer doing it.

Humminbird obviously thinks their Helix models compete well enough with the HDS models otherwise they wouldn't have got rid of the Onix or would have built a smaller screen Solix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
One thing to note regarding the side imaging though, is that with both units, but the Humminbird Mega in particular, you need to be travelling at speeds of 5-8 mph in order to see images with anything close to the clarity you see in the advertisements.
Watch that video I posted. He is getting amazing clarity at speeds of 2-3 mph so I would have to disagree with this statement based on what I have seen. The key is to match scroll speed to boat speed but that goes for any side imaging fish finder.

The only downside to mega imaging that I have seen is its reduced range. This can be noticed in the video when he switches between frequencies but if you need longer range you can just use the lower frequency which is on par with the other manufacturers standard side imaging.