View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

The Helix 10 units are awesome and the new mega imaging looks crazy good, the Lowrance doesn't compare to the mega imaging quality up close. The lowrance on the other hand has the 3d structure scan capability.

The Humminbirds just added bottom hardness and weed mapping to their autochart whereas the new sonarcharts live on HDS will only do depth. I believe you can do bottom hardness and weed on insight genesis though.

I like the fit, finish and size of the HDS units. I could care less about the touch screen but some people like that. Speed wise I haven't played with a Carbon but if anything I would say the helix's are faster for boot time and for maps compared to an HDS(HDS maps probably slower due to more detailed background map though).

I honestly don't think a person can go wrong with the Helix 10, the HDS's are nice but the 3d structure scan version in a smaller screen size(9) is over 60% more money... There are some HDS Gen 3's available a bit cheaper now that the Carbons have been announced though and they would be more comparable to the Helix 10 price wise.