View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getasheep View Post
I loved Mikisew. Have done 4 trips to different lakes with them. Too bad it wasn't viable enough to continue because I'd be a customer often. Are all the camps reserve land because it was a huge area. Did they leave the boats behind?
I believe that only the Charles North, Colin and Cornwall camps are on band land. We toured Colin and Cornwall with the head of the Mikisew Group of Companies and his wife on our way into Ryan Lake in 2015. They were touring the camps briefly to explore future possibilities for these camps as they are both on band land and not restricted by SRD red tape.
They had some interesting ideas, but obviously they must not consider them viable at this time.
An absolute shame! This corner of the province is spectacular and each camp is unique and special. You would think that increasing tourism to the region would only benefit Fort Chipewyan and the area. I know at one point there was consideration of rebuilding a lodge in Fort Chip and incorporating a night there as part of the 'package' if desired.
As far as the business aspect of it, it does not matter why the people are willing to pay to visit the area. It is still seats on airplanes and money going into the local economy. I'll pitch in my share. GN