View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
When was it ever about easier?,, Chub you've clocked a gazillion hours on lakes and streams as have I, it's a zen sport that changes in increments and is different one day to the next, it's about learning waters not just pulling up and wham a 10 pounder. I'm not challenging you by the way.

Is fishing as good as it was 30 years ago? Actually, come to think of it, I've learned more and more technique, so I would say yes it is as good,, and tomorrow I will learn more and so forth. Next year I will be that much closer to thinking I've mastered it and then feel as if I'm learning from scratch again.

There's a running assumption that if one isn't C&R then they are hoarders and the problem. Or likewise if one enjoys a put & take lake then they are chump fishermen not worthy of participating in a debate.

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF QUALITY FISHERY?
a number of fish every outing?
one a day 4 pounds and up?
one lunker a week a month a year, what, what, what?

Maybe people need to ask themselves why they fish.

Once that's defined then the debate will make sense.

If you are having problems catching 20"+ fish then it seems you need to hone a new technique and explore a bit and be a bit more hush on where the big ones are when you see em. They are there, you will find them, it takes years or work to learn about them.

Off topic; has anyone read "The River Why"?
im just simply saying....its easier if there is more...like finding ginch at walmart is easier to do then buying ginch at home depot
I agree with your variables....but Daves point is the more fish of quality proportions the easier it is to get one. That is a pretty rock solid statement. Even in the trophy fishery i fish for 25lb+ RBT that holds very true.
Badger is a good example. Even though some have problems there if you were to choose a lake to hunt a trophy....Badger or Carburn??

I also asked for a answer to what makes a quality fishery but got no answer.

Here is another point to add to the fire
the Bow river has been a ever changing fishery. I wasnt there when the cart broke down and they dumped the fish in the river as a last resort..lol
But ive logged alot of hours on the Bow, not so many in the park but from the Bears paw to arrowood. I have native friends who give me access to launch my jet boat on reserve land and mostly i fish the lower reaches.
There was a time when small drys were king and those times still occur. Times gone by hopper fishing was just stupid....fish would fight over a floating hopper...all though there are still times like that its not as common.
Many times i would watch a good flyfisherman work a run with even bobber and lead or swing a streamer...catch a few decent fish and claim the Bow aint what it used to be. Then a kid with a buzz bomb or count down rapala would take a turn at the run.....boom here comes in a 4-5 brown with the hardware in its mouth like a pitbull with a bone. One must ask is the Bow a quality fishery. OF COURSE IT IS...but imo its become a more lead bigger fly fishery. Do i enjoy the screaming kid's excitement more than watching a pouting flyfisherman with all the latest gear walking away in disgust....lol...its a close tie. The kid goes home after catching bugs and watching birds...eats a melted choco bar in his pocket...happiness in its truest form. The flyfisherman goes to the flyshop and tells everyone the Bow is finnished if we dont make the Bow fly only. Then goes home to watch a River Runs Through It for the 100th time with a razor blade in his hand.
Flyfisherman have alot of clout in this area.....count the fly shops....ever see a buzz bomb shop..lol. Even WSS built a separate room for flyfisherman im quessing to try prevent any disease they might catch from a lowly baitfisherman or hardware chucker.

Im not against flyfishing, after ice fishing for walleyes i enjoy it second best.
My point is this is how alot of misconceptions of how a fishery is doing get started.

I repeat im not flaming flyfisherman.....but if your one of the guys i spoke about above....i will expect your nasty response.