View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
Are you using battery operated light screens? I think they are intended for cloudy days but they might also work on bright sunny days.
No, I'm just using the screens that came with the Caldwell unit. The battery operated infrared screens are best used with the chrony installed in a box where minimal ambient light can affect the photosensors. With a properly functioning chrony, you'll get the most consistent results with this set-up.

Check out this website as a resource for trouble shooting and ideas:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/...y-reliability/

Chronographs operate using photosensors which are very finicky with lighting. Too much light, i.e. sun shining directly on the sensors and you'll get bad readings. Not enough light, i.e. sun setting conditions and you'll get bad readings. I suspect when you were shooting in the shadow of your trailer with the sun setting, there may not have been enough light for the sensors to work optimally. In this case you could have tried to remove the light screens to see if the results improved.

I liken my chrony to my eyeball. If I'm shooting over my chrony on a bright sunny day and my eyes are bothered by the amount of sun, I will make sure the photosensors are shaded from direct sun but have an open view above to the sky. Similarly, If I'm shooting in low light conditions and my eyes are straining to see down range, then the light screens should come off or pack up and shoot another day!