View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I shot a mule deer last night at 730 yards from a300wm with a 200 gr eldx. The bullet was found in many pieces under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Not real impressed with the way it held together.
How far did the deer go before it dropped? Did the bullet hit a rib on the way in? I'd rather have a bullet fragment than fail to open. I had tried the original Barnes X bullets many years ago in my (at the time wildcat) 7mm STW. That original X Bullet was bad for not opening up at close range/high velocity and just punching a pin hole. I tracked a wounded buck I hit broadside at under 100 yds for the entire day in the Duck mountains in Manitoba and found it half stuffed under a fallen tree 4 hours later. IMO that is a bullet failure! It went right thru and never opened up at all, doing minimal damage to the lungs on the way thru. That poor animal suffered unnecessarily because the bullet didn't do it's job. I switched back to Partitions after that. I understand that Barnes has fixed that issue.