View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM

I've used a few different fenwicks including one of my main rods(Fenwick Methods) and the only one I ever broke was an Eagle and I would expect any ML rod to break if you snag it on a tree walking through the bush. HMG's have limited lifetime warranty so yeah can be a bit of a hassle and will likely cost you a few bucks to get a replacement(think you pay shipping).

Fenwicks might be more fragile but that comes with the territory when you consider what you are buying. These Fenwick rods are like bargain deal walmart equivalents to high end rods, light and very sensitive but cheap. If you treat them like an ugly stik you will break them but if you treat them like you would a high end rod shouldn't have an issue(always the odd lemon though).

Guys have mentioned St. Croix and G Loomis rods, I personally think sensitivity wise an HMG is ahead of Triumphs and Premiers(same graphite material used for both, Premier just has higher quality components and made in USA instead of China hence why it costs more). Avids and E6X's are more sensitive and better rods but you are talking over twice as much to buy those quality of rods.

Sensitivity isn't everything though(except in certain situations like jigging) so yeah check out Triumphs and see how they feel to you. Personally not a huge fan and highly prefer the Premiers feel instead but again you are jumping out of this price range.