View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I could kind of mathematically figure out about how many percent "better" it is, but only you can figure out if it's needed.

One thing to consider, is how many shells that are actually the big 3.5" you'll actually put through it. If you are shooting mostly 3" your pattern won't be quite as nice having to go through the longer chamber. So there's a bit of a trade off, depending your usual choice. Not sure how big a difference, but it makes sense, and that knowledge was gleaned from guys that should be more knowledgeable about shotguns than myself.
So if the -pattern is not as uniform going through a longer chamber, why does Kreighoff, a top manufacturer of clays shotguns use 3" chambers on their trap, skeet and sporting clays shotguns? These guns will never see anything but 2-3/4" shotshells, and pattern uniformity is more important for competitive clay shooting, than for hunting. Could it be that with the modern extended forcing cones, it isn't an issue? I have two Winchester SX-3 shotguns, one with a 3" chamber, and one with a 3-1/2" chamber, and using the same 3" loads in both, the patterns are pretty ,much equal in both shotguns.

Quote:
Gets you the distance shot you’d normally miss due to range
If you misjudge the lead and miss with 3" loads , you will miss with a 3-1/2" load. Ad with the same velocity, the range that the shot travels is the same, regardless of the shell length.