Thread: Colonoscopy
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Having watched my brother die a slow, painful horrible death due to what started out as an upset stomach, I highly recommend getting a 'scope done. His doctor wouldn't push the issue, and simply kept stepping up the antacids and stomach remedies. When he finally did send my brother in for a 'scope, they found some issues. He then went in to have it laproscopically removed and they discovered it had spread beyond the colonic wall. At that point he had colon, lung, pancreas, kidney and liver cancer. That was on Christmas eve. He died less than 2 years later. I now have to go every 5 years, which is fine with me.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Oh my goodness. This scenario almost matchs my experience exactly. My family has a history of colon cancer. I was scoped, had some polyps removed and get checked regularly now. But, after my scope I told all my cousins to get this done. It is in the family.
Well, a couple years later one of my cousins is diagnosed with colon cancer and is dead with in a year at the age of 33.
I am not saying it would have been caught and treated. But getting checked would have given him more of a chance than not getting checked.
He also had an issue with his doctor doing a scope and he kept pushing it off even after my cousin was in a lot of pain from the still undiagnosed cancer.