View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
For hunting rifles, 5 shot group is unnecessary has anyone shot 5 times at an animal?? For establishing a load, yes it has foundation. Again out to 500 yards, I will post something later on 500 plus yards but I have no intention of shooting past 500 yards and I will bet only 5% on this forum would either.
Thats what I'm talking about, establishing how accurate your rifle is.
Long range target shooting is fun but the more of it I did. Well its risky on game.
I don't shoot much anymore. I've only got a 300 yard range where I'm living now but at my other place I had 440 yards and I could set up for farther range without to much trouble.
But even at 440 a 30/06 bullet just barely goes through plywood. I had a natural backstop behind the target and it didnt take much digging to recover the bullets. Most of the time the bullet looks like it could be reloaded again.
I shot an elk one time at a stupid range and the bullet hit the rib, deflected up and lodged into the spine. Barely had the power to do that. That was with a 300 mag. If the bullet would have deflected any other way I would not have recovered the elk.
Anyway I'm not about long range shooting of game.
Haha I'm definitely not trying to annoy anyone either. I'm just trying to pass on little things that I had to learn the hard way if anybody is interested.
I hate these computers but this is the only way people want to talk anymore. Without looking at the person its hard to know how to take them.