View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMDEER View Post
I've shot 180 grain Nosler partition bullets in one of my 300 magnums for decades. Killed lots of critters; deer, elk moose. They are still accurate and perform well. And out to 400 yards, they are great.

I got another 300 Winchester mag a few years ago, thinking it would be along range gun. I have had trouble getting it to shoot, so I put a new Shilen barrel on it. It's better but not a one hole rifle. I shot about 20-25 different bullets in that second rifle. The Berger bullets were maybe the most accurate, but as has been mentioned, they don't perform and I just can't hunt with them.

I have had the best luck with the Nosler 190 long range Accubonds. Just shot again yesterday and it is right around 1 inch or under. And the Accubond bullets perform well on game. But I do agree, the Hornady bullets are also good. I just could not get them to group as well in my rifle.
Have you tried taking your best load and playing with the seating depth. I have one 300 WM that went from 1" to just under .25 for 3 shots at 100 by playing with seating depth. That one improved by seating a bit further away from the lands but I have had other guns that like to be near touching. I won't Jam or touch lands with any hunting load but I have a couple of guns that are pretty close to touching.