View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
If shots were limited to 500 yards what bullet would you use? Have been playing with a variety of 308 bullets out of the 300 Win, hunt deer elk moose bear and would not take a poke idealy past 400 but extended this to 500 yards for conversations sake. I used Berger 190 grain bullets this season loaded to 3100 fps.....very not happy with weight retention, fragmentation and penetration. 2 Shots with them at 100 on moose, 150 on a whitetail. Ya ya ya they're both dead but only 25 grains left on the bullet in the shoulder of a 2 year old moose and the whitetail was a passthrough but extensive blood shot meat and copper every where! Not my idea of a hunting bullet.

I use Federal Fusion 165 .308's. These are 2700 fps at the muzzle.

I did a double lung on a whitey buck at 495 yards that went right through. I also did a 450 on an elk that went right through. I did another 300 yard on an elk that hit rib in and out and stuck in the hide on the offside. The bullet deformed (mushroomed) exactly as it should and while I didn't weigh it, I'd wager it didn't lose much, if any, weight at all.

I've been using these rounds for over 10 years now and had great success with them. I've yet to have any that disintegrated or left any bullet behind that I could find.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***