View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Solo archery bull

At First light I was walking along through a foggy creek bottom headed to an area I knew elk bedded in. i thought I could hear some movement a ways off to my left so I let out a few soft cow chirps. I could hear a few twigs break but nothing else so I walked up another 30yrds and blew a few more soft cow calls. all of a sudden it sounded like a bus was coming through the woods I could see 3 cows and a calf headed my way so I dropped to my knees and knocked an arrow just as I saw the bull appear from the darkness like a ghost he was completely silent. the elk stopped 35-40yrds away looking around for the cow they heard so I turned my head slightly and chirped behind me where I was sitting. The elk immediately started coming right at me as they moved though a small cluster of tree trunks I drew my bow they cleared the tree trunks he was grunting and moaning lockin his lips as he came. the cows headed down wind 40 yrds but the calf and bull came right at me. the calf turned 12 yrds away and walked to my left and stood maybe 10 yrds behind me the bull walked straight at me stopped @ 8yrds he tilted his head back and gave a soft moan just as I hammered him right behind the shoulder the cows bolted he ran 10 yrds I did a bunch of lip squeaks he stopped and stood there for 5 seconds before he finally bolted like a bat out of hell. I wanted to slip another arrow in but couldn't make it through all the garbage he had in front of him. I have him 2 hours to be sure and ended up finding him about 350 yrds away and I couldn't have been happier this is my first archery bull and my 2nd bull elk taken in 2 years last years was with a rifle so this one is just that much sweeter. when I started hunting a few years ago no one would give me the time of day now I have seasoned hunters asking me to tag along and help them fill there tags it's definitely a nice turn of the tables 😁

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.