View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Unless I am very bad at guiding, I have seen a lot of guys who are good shots completely miss animals under 300 yards with a rifle off a rest.
Myself and another guide had clients from a very well-known archery hunting show on a mule deer hunt. There were several shots taken, but no animals harmed. They showed me at the beginning their skill level and they were definitely proficient. One of them was quite arrogant about it. I used to make a point of getting hunters to shoot before we went out so that I could see what their skill level is. I’m not sure it matters.
I certainly don’t blame them. I have missed and made bad shots too and I believe I am more competent than most, and certainly have practised a lot.
Lol, I am reminded of a co-worker who told me about totally missing a mule deer at 40 yards with his bow, then shooting a second time and killing it at 70 yards. When I expressed some surprise at the range his response was "Well, I'm good out to 90". He did not seem to see the irony in that statement.