View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It sometimes happens, that the factory turns out a hot load and it seems more common with Weatherby or some of the early WSM loads. I tested one factory Weatherby load that produced even more velocity than that in my rifle with 26" barrel, and the fired cases displayed extrusion into the ejector cutout. I measured .0025" expansion on the belt, and new primers were too loose in the primer pocket, to reload the cases. Some people might be happy with that velocity, but it was obviously excessive, and the cases had to be thrown away.
However, that was a rare exception, most factory loads fall short of published velocities, often up to 100fps, sometimes up to 150fps or even more. And the same is true for many loads listed in loading manuals.
That was the impression I was under with factory loads having a lower than published velocity and to be pretty much the norm. I did find it interesting to be getting the higher velocity.
I haven't noticed any signs of over pressure but also have not measured the cases to be more accurate in that statement.
The last time I bought factory nosler ammunition in this caliber was close to 4 years ago and it will be the last time for me unless the current pricing of this particular brand changes drastically..