Thread: Pheasant Season
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
I was out today early - slow start but got one bird after an hour. Three hours in, it sounded like a war breaking out - obviously the truck was in. I went the other way but like Elkhunter, I came through when the shooting slowed. My dog put up a bird in 20 minutes & we headed home. We hunted for about 4 hours - only put up 2 birds. Driving out, some dude has his shotgun lined up down the road from the window of his Chev Equinox - I thought he was going to shoot at us but there was a pheasant in the ditch. I'd think buying chicken would be cheaper than driving the roads for hours.
If the truck is present , or I hear the circus going on, I always head for the far reaches and just run my dog until the shooting dies down. It's a lot more comfortable not being close to the shooting, and we aren't limited out in five minutes. Today took a lot longer, because the people shooting kept missing/ wounding, instead of limiting out quick. I heard more shots today than I have ever heard in one hunt, and most were multiple shot volleys. I was talking to a friend and watched one group about 500 yards off , fire at four birds, and not get a bird .
We did find two dead but still warm birds, that someone shot and didn’t recover. I called Gandeblaster, and he came out and shot his first pheasant, over his new dog, which was nice to see. It was a good start to the season, before sharptails tomorrow.