View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Already gave the boss the notice that when the season hits and the ice is open I'm taking a few days lol.

Was a bit weird getting used to a baitcaster but for that setup I'm definitely liking it. My spinner is also an Ugly Stick, 7' GX2 with a Shimano reel.

Ugh now I'm itching to go fishing... lol
I've been having dreams of it! Haven't done as much ice fishing as I've wanted to, but that's life. Hoping to get out once or twice more.

My fiancé and I plan on doing our engagement photos at Dorothy's in June. I hope the fishing is better than last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
200+ yards of 50 lb braid and at least 15 lbs max drag is what I recommend for Lake Sturgeon.

If you are wanting to buy a dedicated sturgeon combo then I would recommend a 6000 size Shimano(or equivalent). 5000 is big enough for most situations but you probably want to downsize to 40 lb braid to get a bit more line on it(160 yards of 40 lb power pro).

I would look at the new Sedona FI 6000. The Sedona has been a decent reasonably priced reel and they just upgraded it significantly with stronger gears, higher drag and lighter weight. They will hold 195 yards of 50 lb braid and have 22 lbs of drag, Fishin Hole has them listed for $120 so your total cost will be under the 200 budget you set out.
Thanks for the recommendation. I also noticed that it would be difficult to get 200 yards of PP on a 5000, unless I went really high end. I'll probably pick up the Sedona, but have also been looking at the Battle II as well.