View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Default Redoing an old deck with Composite decking- question about finishing step threshold

When I was in RONA last week I made the mistake of taking the wife with me, who dragged me out of the shingle buying mode I was in into the sale section, where everything was 15% off that day. We had always looked at composite decking, but did not want to start another mortgage being over 50 and debt free.
So- this wasn't too bad, although the salesidiots knew nothing at all about it, I decided to make her happy. 3 pallets of shingles and a pallet of deck board later, out we went.
Then when I got home, I stripped off the 18 year old deck. I used the Shadow Track installation system, so other than looking weathered the untreated unpainted 2x6 decking still looked really good! Using this system there is not a single hole through the floor, it is all attached from underneath.
Then I found out that this composite crap had to be 12" oc where the 2x6 was 24". Back to LLoydminster for another load of wood and another half pallet of decking. Don't trust Rona for estimating size. I knew they were off. A few hours later, or maybe days I don't remember with all the rain I had a very nice 12" on center 12x28 deck ready for the new cover. We even redid all the posts, making sure everything was level and tight, just enough angle for rain to run off. Or so I thought.
No. Not so fast.
This stuff has to be perfectly level. 3/16ths of an inch is enough that the starter clips will not enter the boards. And I found out that if you hit it on edge with a hammer, you will regret it instantly. Flimsy brittle vhzxkfjhksdfhghsd
So now, I have to go under the deck and take down all the hurricane hangers the joists are held up with to level it at the house side. On the other side, the new 2x8" joists are higher, so I used a makita planer and cut a little relief to lower them. What a pain in rear.
Tomorrow weather permitting I will give it another go.
My friend that helped me build the house in 2001 said 'it's ok Ken, we aren't building a piano, close is close enough'.
Tomorrow I level like I was building a piano.

My question- online it talks about sealing the raw edges, and using strips to cover the outside edges. Do you have to do this?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by sns2; 06-25-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: swearing