Thread: The Mentor
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

Arrow

Well another evening rolled by.
The fog came in damn thick just as it did the other night I wasn't there - right about 45 minutes from nightfall.
But, we stuck it out, and occasionally it would lift just enough we could almost see 35 or so yards.

Just at dark it did just that, and there was a deer standing directly across from the blind, and staring hard in our direction.
An extremely slow lift of the binocs, and Yep, it's the three point!
At 25 yards!!
Ever so slowly I gave the Thumbs Up to the Lad.
He responded by moving in slow motion, not a single rustle to be heard, and the 12 gauge came to bear.
When settled, he then thumbed back the old hammer.
Unfortunately that resulted in an audible CLICK, and the buck instantly vanished into the fog like so much smoke!
Damn!
So close and yet so far again.

I was up and called down there well before the sky even thought about greying up.
Fog so thick they could not even see ten feet.
Abandon the am.
The fog did not lift until after 10:30 am...
Right Call.

On the way out last night I encountered a HUGE 4 point I have not seen all season.
Big Boy for sure, and he really didn't like me slowing down for a boo even though it was well after dark.
Rocket time!
But now we know he is in the area, and spirits are running high once again!

Managed to drop my 50 year old scattergun on the asphalt when I got home.
Slipped part way up the drive, and the ol' Winchester single shot I was presented with at the ripe old age of nine plummeted from my arms, and smoked the asphalt drive with a sickening crunch.
DAMMIT!
50 years of looking after that one, gone in an instant!

I have taken ducks, geese, pheasants, sharptails, huns, and a pile of deer with that old gal.
Broke my heart to see what I had inflicted simply due to rushing and not thinking.

Today I put the wood back together with JB Wood Weld.
It has a close color match, and I know damn well just how strong it is.
Of course one will always be able to tell, but she will function again.

The Bakelite butt plate I kind of struggled with.
I could find no satisfactory reference on how to mend that. Too damn many mixed reviews & reports out there.
After some deliberation, I went with Gorilla Glue Two Part Epoxy.
Familiar with that stuff, and it usually binds most materials quite firmly.
The pieces are currently sitting above a heating duct, and I'll let them sit there until tomorrow before testing.

Tonight I'll be packing the 12 gauge shorty, which only fires 2 3/4" shells.
Going to miss my Old Friend that throws 3 inchers into the tightest pattern you've ever seen at distance!
But then again, I am only back-up after all.
And I didn't manage to ruin the single the Lad is using...

Headed back down in an hour or so...

The Quest Continues...