View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:12 AM

Default 270WSM is a great cartridge

Had a awsome old Husky in 270, sold it. When the 270WSM came out I figured it would rule the flat lands like the 243's did back in the 70's and 80's. Unfortunately it has been a slow start. Of the WSM's (7mm, 300 and 270) the 270WSM is the only cartridge to not loose in the bullet weight/speed ratio when compared to the originating caliber.
Needing only the weakest excuse I purchased a Tikka T3 Lite 270WSM. Yes there is a lot of plastic/nylon on the weapon, but can they shoot. It is the only rifle that I have not "tweaked". Recoil is not an issue even though the rifle is quite light. I shoot 140gr Accubonds with RL19 powder and Remington brass (the Winchester brass did not shoot as well) and get awsome groups at 200yds (3/4"!..... seriously). On a side note the T3 is the smoothest feeding rifle I have ever owned. When I first purchased it I had to check the make sure a round was actually picked up and loaded, which it was. It's that smooth.
The rifle can take a beating as well. Took a nice "Billy" out of Sparwood last September. You will certainly appreciate the weight when climbing a big ass hill!
Ultimately the choice between the 270 and the 270WSM comes down to whether or not you reload. If not the 270, as stated in other threads, is available everywhere and is cheaper and will everything is was designed to do.
Straight shooting!!