View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I have both a 270 win and two 270 wsm. The win has a 24" barrel,and the one wsm has a 23" and the other a 22 7/16" barrels. The wsm consistently shoot 150 win factory loads across the chrony at 3150 or a little better depending upon temp. The same in the win doesn't break 2900. To say there is no difference between the cartridges is the same as saying there is no difference between a 30/06 and 300 wm. 250 to 300 fps is the difference between a 30/06 and 300wm, looks a little different when you look at it that way doesn't it?
The 270 win is a classic dependable cartridge, but if you are seriously comparing between the two then the WSM has more to offer.
X2
I didn't mess with the powder too much, but simply took H4831.
I'm sure if I went to try and get the optimum out of each , the results would still put the WSM far enough out in front that the it would clearly be ahead of the 270WIN bay a fair margin.
My findings were from messing with Quickload however, real World chrony results are a far better yardstick ( same margin would be evident I would wager!)
Cat