View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Its ok. There's help for hearing voices.

Thank goodness for that! Lol
We all experience bad shot placement if you hunt long enough. My experience in tracking marginal hits with mono bulletts versus a Ballistic tip/accubond/Ballistic Silver tip etc has been that we eventually find the poorly hit Balistic tip styled animal, but not the solid Bullet. Muliple small wound channels vs the single (mostly) wound of a solid bullet. Of course exit wounds are not a promise or typical of Ballistic tip bullets either, but it often resembles a hand grenade tossed into the chest cavity. My good friend and hunting partner uses TSX, and most of my long tracking jobs have come from this, lol.
But lots of people have different opinions. If your new to hunting, the grenade scenario offers a little margin for your errors as a human being.
I have admittedly never had to track an animal shot with either Barnes or an Accubond. Poor shot is a poor shot regardless of bullet has always been my opinion. I am still a big fan of cup and core bullets for deer, but about 8 years ago, a young fella I hunt with smoked a bull elk at less than 100 with his 30-06 and 165 Interlocks. It was a good shot, but he did go a ways before he expired. We found the animal eventually, with what was left of the bullet against the hide, but there was no snow for tracking, and no blood trail. After that, I made the decision to do everything I could to get guys in my hunting party to use either a bonded or monometal so as to provide consistent pass throughs, in the hopes of a blood trail. Both bullets are fantastic and I have nary a poor word to say about either. I'd always go with whichever one shot the best. If they were equal, and the rifle spits em out the muzzle at 3000 fps, my preference would be for the TTSX (slightly).