View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Dean, see bolded above. I will check today with the paper clip method or else section the once fired brass with the stretch marks to check it for thinning from the inside.

My next step is to locate a piece of 9mm brass to measure the shoulder position, or else order a no-go gauge.

Edit: I just spent some quality time with a bent paper clip. I first checked the blown out and partially separated Lapua brass to get the feel for the thin section. I then tried on the once fired Norma (not yet resized) and could feel no discernible thinning or circumferential groove on the inside of it. Maybe Dean is right and the external stretch mark on the once fired Norma is not a sign of separation to come.

Another thing I will do is FL resize* some of this once fired Norma and load it up to moderate loads, then shoot it and see what happens.

* FL resize with the die backed out, rather than screwed in further as I have been doing in the past. Once sized (but not yet loaded), I will compare it to my data set using the tape method in chambering. I will aim to have one tape thickness while allowing the bolt to close (indicating approx. 0.0035") and then load and fire. I will then see what happens to the case.

Thx.
If you have your die set right the bolt will close easily on the sized brass, and NOT close or be quite tight with one layer of tape on it. My bet is, if you put the once fired case in the rifle the bolt will close easily on it before it is ever resized. That is why I am a fan of only neck sizing brass. I can shoot brass in most of my rifles at least 10 times before I need to bump the shoulder at all and I have never had to FL size any case, no matter how often it was fired, to get the ammo to feed properly.