View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
We owe to the animals to kill them as quickly and cleanly as possible. Too much room for error with the smaller caliber. I could kill deer all day long with my .204 or even my .22 mag. Would I go out and do it...not a chance in hell. This topic is a no brainer in my humble opinion.

So that right there says it all pretty much. Zero idea of what a 22 CF with a reasonable bullet will actually do to a game animal.

My ex was a competitive shooter for a lot of years. The last deer she shot with me was a medium muley, about 150" buck. 163 yards, trotting after his does that we jumped out of draw. She laid down in the snow over the edge of the knife ridge, and tracked him in the scope as he followed the trail they took. He turned broadside and I grunted at him, and told her to put it right through his near shoulder halfway up. At the shot he folded like he'd been electrocuted and rolled about 100 yards down the hill till he hung up in some brush. That deer couldn't have been any deader any quicker had she been shooting my 300 Ultra. In fact, I bet he'd have gone a lot farther than straight down had she used my 300 Ultra.

She'd put about 100 rounds through that rifle shooting grapefruit and beer cans with 40 gr vmax's earlier that fall out to 300+ yards. Guess what flies real similar to a 40 gr vmax? A 45 gr TSX.

That tiny little bullet sent at 3800fps MV punched a 2" hole through the onside shoulder joint, through the lungs, through the offside shoulder blade, and was found under the hide on the other side. Weight was 45 grs.

Damage to the vitals was indistinguishable from what you would expect from a 30 30 at 100 yards. Pretty sure not many folks would argue that a 30 30 isn't enough for deer at 100 yards......

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 08-08-2018 at 04:06 PM.