View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That is not far off of normal for a 550 but is a little low, if you are using all of the 8.5 gal Imperial tank. Should be in the 150-180 range, assuming you weren't pulling anything, if you were pulling your mileage is fine. They are known to be hard on fuel, but there are things you can check to improve gas mileage. Check you plugs and insure they are a nice light brown/tan after a half trip down the line. If they are your jetting is fine. you do NOT want to run one of these to lean but if the tips are wet or dark brown to black it needs to be leaned out. Also make sure your clutch is going all the way to top gear when you are running 50 K/H (check the rpm spec for 50 k/h, if you are running higher rpm your clutch isn't set right) and above as that could have a negative effect on gas, as could the track being too tight.
At a relatively steady recreational pace of about 35- 50 kmph I can get 150-180 km out of a tank. Running it slow, pulling a modest load, with lots of stops and starts... a regular trapping day for me, I don't think I could get 150 km most days. Honkin' on bobo through deep snow, it will suck back a tank shockingly fast

I'll do the checks that you recommended next time I'm out.