View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ll assume I touched a “personal” nerve because it’s the only logical explanation for your illogical reaction to my perspective. We had a thread with 30+ replies all regurgitating the same opinion. It was a love affair for every entry level rifle built where each participant “recommended” their favorite budget model. That’s one version of “helpful” for a new guy. I’ll give him the other side of the coin because it needs to be presented as the other “viable” option. What he chooses to do with it is up to him.
It’s far from a thread derailment when all options are tabled, it becomes a healthy discussion. Maybe the terminology was harsh when I refer to them as “junk” because that’s dependent on how we are defining “junk” and what it is about an entry level rifle that’s less desirable then any other rifle. Imo (this is the part you had to filter) I’ve got zero love for unrefined, poorly made items in my life. From hunting gear to vehicles to the house I’m sitting in I prefer high end quality in everything I buy. Not always the most expensive but an amalgamation of contributing attributes that I weigh and determine an overall value. I’m very opinionated over what I’ll spend my money on and it flows into my discussion of items on here. I’m also aware lots of people couldn’t tell or wouldn’t care about the difference in quality between a Kia and a Lexus or a savage and a Holland & Holland.
No "personal nerve" here. And all the power to you how you decide to live in any and all aspects of your life. Seriously, I admire your ability to have put yourself into a position in your life to be able to afford "high end" things. No envy here. I have and value some nice things as well.

But whether your intent is to be condescending or not, it comes off that way. Seems like you'd rather tell the guy everything you know about guns instead of simply helping him get into his first hunting rifle.
Maybe it's just me and how I read your comments....

I highly doubt though, that he, and I'm assuming he's a young fella, is going to be getting himself into an H&H or drive over to pick it up in his Land Rover.

It's OK for him to buy an Axis or whatever, and be proud of his first gun. A beginner knows very little and this fella is "asking". What you offered isn't helpful, IMO. To me, your comments indicate that you can't put yourself in his shoes.
Not helpful. But maybe you could offer to help him out and share your knowledge with him, more so than a few paragraphs here.