View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not talking in circles, look at how a Mark V is constructed, and how many are produced and it's not hard to understand why it costs more to produce. As well, since some people consider it to be a prestigious model, they can charge more for it. As for used rifles being someone else's problem, often when a particular rifle produces sub standard accuracy, the owner simply sells it . It doesn't mean that the rifle isn't safe to use, but it may simply be a lemon accuracy wise. Or the crown gets dinged, and accuracy is gone. Or the barrel gets badly fouled, and the owner can't get it clean with Hoppes #9, so they sell it. And then there are rifles that people tried to bed or adjust the trigger, and things didn't go so well, so they sold the rifle. I have come across several used rifles with issues , some that were easily fixed, some weren't, but most issues are easy to see of a person knows what to look for. But a new shooter isn't likely going to know what to look for.
All true. See how much easier it is to discuss when a person lays out their opinion clearly? Still nothing that would scare me into recommending a new starter to buy a entry level new.
I’ve bought and sold 150+ rifles and come across two issues. One was a rifle I didn’t shoot, I bought the package for the scope and sold the rifle. The new owner told me it didn’t shoot very well and he sent it in for warranty work, they fixed his problem. There were no obvious problems with the rifle when I had it and it looked new so one would assume Ruger had put out a dud.
The second problem was a bent firing pin, one call to Korth and I had a new firing pin within the month that took me about 15 min to replace. I got that rifle off of this site and the previous owner almost certainly knew it failed to fire occasionally but he didn’t say anything and I never spoke to him about it.
Sure, I know what to look for and can typically filter the problems before I spend money on them but I don’t see many rifles that have any obvious problems. I can’t remember the last time I looked at something I was interested in and thought it had a problem. I’m sure it’s happened to me but it’s a very infrequent occurrence. We both know a new rifle can have its own problems. Sure it’ll have warranty but they’re capable of having issues too. Not much in life isn’t a gamble.