View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Buy a quality used rifle and used scope that fits your budget. Buying a cheap piece of junk because it’s inexpensive is never a good idea. You’ll have to get an idea of what you want then keep your eyes open. Lucky for you you’ll probably be happy with almost anything. In the past I’ve bought and sold mid 70’s to late 80’s built Remington 700’s in the $500-650 range. Ruger m77’s in the $500-550 range, kimbers in the $800 range, CRF Winchester 70’s for $650-700 and just today I saw a Sako A7 with a leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 for $1200 obo.

If you find a rifle and need a scope just look around for a quality scope that fits your budget. Don’t go spend good money on something that won’t last and will need to be upgraded as soon as you can afford it. For example, tonight I picked up a vx3 2.5-8x36 for $400, quality scope at a good price.

The vanguard keeps coming up in these discussions. About 15 years ago we were moving my rig past Bonnyville and I stopped at the gun store for a look. A new vanguard with a scope in rings was $535 (going price back in the day) and I passed. It was a piece of junk. Savage, Ruger American, 770 or 783 or any budget rifle are all the same. Junk.
You couldn’t give me a tikka but that’s not because they’re no good, I just don’t have any love for them. I would certainly agree with the suggestion to find a tikka if you can stomach the plastic.
Are you saying that the Vangaurd S2, that is the model everyone is talking about with the Howa action, is not comparable to the bottom of the line Tikka T3? If so, why?