View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Bought the Hornady manual on iBooks today after someone mentioned it was free on another thread. Good read, between that thread and this one I know what my project for next year is... I think I just got bit by the reloading bug...

Any chance for an update from the OP? For example, what is a ladder test?

Do you recommend starter kits or buying pieces individually?
Ladder test is where you generally start at the lowest recommended load for your caliber and make one round and move up either 1 gn or .5 gn increments until max load or signs of pressure. you shoot at a single target same aim point every shot, keep track of which shot was which and you should see a point in your test where the bullets struck fairly close together vertically. In theory for your gun your optimum load should be within the range where you had the least amount of vertical spread. for example my 7mm ladder test was closest vertically between 64 and 66gn of n165. After doing load tests in .2 gn increments between 64&66 my gun shoots most accurately with 65.0gn. I bought a starter kit and added the tools I need after the starter where my brother in law bought everything individually, I may have saved a little money but I've got quite a few tools I'll never use. There is a ton of good info online about load development but always take with a grain of salt and remember the smallest mistake and you could end up hurt or worse so no shortcuts!