View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Default bait stations

Coyotes don't visit feed stations during daylight hours...actively.
Therefore the Raven (not crows) activity plays a small percentage in attracting coyotes since the Ravens are perched and sleeping in dark hours.
The Ravens attract people ...I hate that !
My locations are always on private land with limited access...far from main roads and include fences that keep out ATV's and snowmachines.

I believe that the ODOUR of a bait pile helps to lure coyotes. That's why farm dogs will show up - travelling for 2 or 3 miles to get a bone. Early season baiting means longer warm fall weather which promotes a stronger odour and easier for coyotes to detect the bait station. I believe same applies to WOLVES who use their noses to find food.

I've also believed that one coyote will bring his brothers and sisters if given a chance... that's why early baiting helps them to become acquanited to the food supply and lets others follow him to the food station. Thats why all Bait stations should be set-up and left idle for 2 -3 weeks before snaring.

They are group animals and follow one another to food sources.

Early season baiting is alot of work since the bait isn't frozen and easy to carry off and get eaten. If you use large animals such as cattle, moose, horses...they have to be chainsawed open otherwise there is no odour especially in cold temperatures.