View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 AM
Banned

Where I trap I pre-bait and set on sign. After a week the coyote trails are visible even in grass and I know where to hang my snares. I don’t think that there’s much point in hanging 100 snares when a dozen will produce the same number of coyotes. I’ll add snares if new trails appear.

Birds are great when they can’t fly off with all your bait but I think that the scent of the bait seals the deal. I have tons of birds on my coyote carcasses but the farmland coyotes around here have no interest in eating them so they don’t bother coming in to them.

Roadkill is great but the coyotes can eat a whole deer in one night if it’s not at least a little frozen. I’ll put fresh roadkill at bait sites that already have snares hanging but generally not for pre-baiting because of that. I skin the side and open the belly up especially if it’s starting to freeze. That gives them a start on it if it does happen to freeze solid. I like to let butcher scraps freeze into a big ball of meat and fat. Birds can’t fly away with it and the Yotes have to work a bit to get a meal. I try to avoid putting out bait that the coyotes can carry away to eat somewhere else.

If you can get permission from a rancher, his dead pit can be a gold mine and you don’t even have to bait it. Blind sets on well used coyote trails without using bait can produce good results as well. Good luck.