View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
More of exactly my beliefs also, well said.

And from that link from rokslide posted in the other thread there were three things I thought worth quoting and hearing again.

1. “Believe me I struggle with this too. I love big 30 Cals. But I do find with the lighter caliber I am more accurate especially if the rifle is lightweight too.”

2. I got more comfortable with seeing them not “register the hit” more decisively. There’s definetly a difference in how they respond to a 30 or 33, but it hasn’t affected the status of my freezer and the feel good factor of the impeccable marksmanship the smaller round contributes to overrides the feel good factor of seeing “a harder hit”

3. “Had very similar results with the 162 eldm in 7mm08 on a bull at 600. Ill post my findings on a different thread.”

I just thought the 7-08 was brilliant...may as well call that the 7 Creedmoor lol.

I never did get armored of any of the 30 calibers as I lucked out and got a 270 Win as my first rifle. I lucked into a 7mm08 shortly after a short bout of Magumania with a 7mm Rem and found that the numbers were not that much different except in recoil. It was soon evident that the 7mm08 handload numbers were much better than a 308. I wonder how long the 308 will remain the favorite for shooting disciplines, that require a military cartridge, now that the 6.5 CM has been accepted by the military.

Shortly after Alexander Arms announced the development of the 6.5 Grendel, in about 2003, I determined that it would likely be an excellent 300 deer/moose cartridge with the 125 Nosler Partition that was available at the time. All of the data was for lighter bullets in an AR with 18" barrel but I figured in a 24" barrel with a bit more FreeBore to accommodate the 125 partition that it would be a winner especially for youngsters and the lady's. I even went so far as to claim that it would likely deliver more energy/ grain of powder, to 300 yards, than any other cartridge available at the time. I took a lot of flack on another sight, much like you are experiencing, for even suggesting that it would likely be one of the most efficient 300 yard deer guns ever.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post the results on deer and moose that confirm my suspicions. I look forward to you posting the results with the 162 ELD-M on a bull moose at 600 yards. I had plans to do that with the 162 A-Max back about 15 years ago and will post drawings of the load that I had developed when you post.

I have added the load that rokslide used in the 6.5 PRC to the comparison chart that I posted previously and will post it on that thread. It exactly mirrors what I had envisioned for the 6.5 EXTREME that I designed to run the 140 VLD Hunting bullet to 3050 fps.