View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
A person I know, that may or may not have looked a lot like me, has used #6 shot out of the ol 12 gauge to dissuade stray dog from continuing to come into the farm yard back in SK. Said dogs decided very quickly that their own yard didn't make their arse sting with bird shot. Learned behavior, they stopped roaming......

Bears are large mean and tough creatures. Some bird shot in the arse (preferably 3 quick rounds) would certainly not significantly damage or effect it's quality of life. But some loud bangs followed by some intense pain in the arse may result in the teaching that the two legged creature with the fire stick means business! Gunshots are bad etc....

Now I'm not promoting harming our precious grizzly bears. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to certain teaching techniques....
Do not shoot bears with bird shot it has the potential to cause problem bears because of festering wounds. Years ago I had to kill a black bear in my neighbourhood because it became aggressive after being shot with bird shot by a farmer in the area. Would have been better off if he just killed the bear

The idea of educating bears to stay away with a sting I do agree with but rubber slugs or a blunt/arrow is a much better option or bear bangers. This works with out long term issues that come with bird shot.