View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM

I've been eating keto for 2 years now, using the ketogains macros. I started eating keto for the health benefits and losing body fat was a nice side effect. I am now in better shape than i have ever been. I have annual physical exams and strength testing including body composition analyses so I am able to track my health fairly well. Every possible health indictor that I get tested on has improved since switching to keto along with losing almost 30 lbs of body fat and gaining 10 lbs of muscle. With that said, I also started a consistent weight lifting routine and I can't discount the effects that has had.

There are many different theories on the "best" way to implement a ketogenic diet. Some push for very high fat intake, moderate to low proein and low carbs while others push for lower fat intake, high protein and low carbs. With a little research, you will find the one thing they all have in common is carbohydrate restriciton witht the purpose of forcing your body into a state of ketosis. Everyone's macros will be different so there really is no "one size fits all" approach.

If anyone is interested in taking closer look, I would suggest doing some research and deciding for yourself which approach makes the most sense to you. Ketogains on Facebook/Reddit has some good information as a starting point. Books like "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" are also good.

One thing I can say after doing lots of research myself, is that optimal protein intake is critical to maintaing muscle mass. Losing weight can be a good thing if you are losing the right weight, nobody wants to be losing muscle mass along with body fat.
As has been stated above, gluconegenesis is a demand driven process and therefor eating "too much" protein will not kick you out of ketosis. Steak does not turn into cake no matter how much of it you eat.